Thursday, March 19, 2015

What Game Development is All About. The Gamers.

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to check our Company PO Box in a little over two weeks. Normally it's full of junk mail from loan companies and business supply stores so it's not on the top of my to-do list. There is this awesome Chinese Food place right next door to it, so while picking up some Lo Mein I had a chance to check the box tonight. What I found, blew me away.





Transcription:

"To the developers at GravTech Games,

I have been a gamer for a lot of years, about thirty I guess, and I've seen our hobby go through a great deal of change for the better. Unfortunately we've been seeing some setbacks recently in the form of non-gamer ideologies and a corrupt media making the industry more about making the 'right kind of games,' and judgement based on who you know rather than merit. Our industry has always been one of the most inclusive and diverse out there but now the myth is being spread, again, that gamers are dangerous and hateful.

I am a supporter of the online revolt to expose that corrupt media. I want an environment where you can make the art, games, that you want without political or idealogical pressure. I want an industry where you judged on merit and skill, not who you know in the press. I want an industry where you can speak out about your art without worrying about censorship or calls to suppress your games in the market.

Most of all I want to rebuild the bridges between developers and gamers. I want to thank you for all your hard work, without devs making games there would be no us. Keep up the hard work, we have your six.

Thanks,
Trever"


My handwriting hasn't improved much since kindergarten, so I hope you forgive the format of my response.


Trever,

Wow. First of all thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me personally. I can't wait to frame it and put it up on the wall by my desk as a reminder of why we do what we do. It's unfortunate how gamers are currently being treated by the mainstream media and similar critics. But you know, it's funny, the gaming community has been nothing but accepting of us and we still scratch our heads the more these current happenings go on.

You say that without devs there would be no gamers, but let's be honest, we're reliant on each other. Every day I wake up I have to keep in mind who NORA is for. Yes, we're building our vision, but we're aiming to meet your expectations. My business mind screams when I hear that "gamers don't need to be your audience," because that makes absolutely no sense. The first word in our target audience is gamer and I have no intention of changing that.

Gamers are alive and well, and I can assure you, developers are listening. Just one thing, you take point, we'll go where you lead.

Warm Regards,
Kevin Gray





5 comments:

  1. That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that. Keep up the good work, Mr. Gray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good god, this is the best morale boost i've had in months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta tell the truth, making me misty here guys. How about we go forward together, side by side.

    ReplyDelete